Back to School Spotlight: Simple, Healthy After School Snacks
Now that school is in full swing, we’ve teamed up with a few of our favorite influencers to share some fun, simple and healthy recipes to prep for that much needed after school snack time!
To make this fun and easy recipe, you will need:
- 4/5 apples, sliced thin
- a drizzle of almond butter
- your favorite toppings (we love coconut flakes (no sugar added from Trader Joes), vegan chocolate chunks and sprinkles!)
- 2 bananas
- Chocolate Wafers (any color)
- High quality 72% dark chocolate, melted
- Toppings: shredded coconut, sprinkles, pistachios, chia seeds, peanut butter, m&m’s, mini chocolate chips, etc.
Step 1. Cover the bananas with melted chocolate, I like to use white chocolate melts and dark chocolate.
PRO TIP: stick a toothpick at both ends of the bananas so it's easier to hold them while you cover them. You can dip the banana directly in the chocolate & roll to cover completely, or use a spoon to drizzle melted chocolate on top.
Step 2. Sprinkle the bananas with toppings and put them in the freezer for a couple of minutes, to allow the chocolate to set.
Step 3. Once the chocolate is hard enough, cut the bananas into bite-sized sushi pieces with a sharp knife.
My kids come home famished and then turn around and head out for sports not long after school. We started making different types of energy balls to fill them up. These are a combo of a few different kinds we have tried. We call them Rainbow Energy Balls because they look so colorful with the sprinkles on top.
- 1 cup oat flour (or rolling oats)
- ½ cup cashew butter
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 (plus 2) tablespoon rainbow sprinkles
- 3 tablespoon white chocolate chips
- Almond milk (about 2 tablespoons)
Mix the oat flour, cashew butter, sugar, vanilla & salt in a bowl. Let the kids use their hands. Add in the almond milk until you get a good dough consistency. Mix in the first 3 tablespoons of sprinkles and the chips. Roll into 1 inch balls. Last, dip each energy ball into the extra rainbow sprinkles so there are some on top. Enjoy right away or anytime over the next few days!
Note: add more or less sugar depending on how healthy you'd like them to be. For the sprinkles, we recently discovered Supernatural sprinkles that have no artificial dyes, soy free, gluten free & vegan. They have the cutest varieties too!